Saturday, October 5, 2013

FOR THIS CHILD WE PRAYED





 

Sweet poem about how fast our children grow up and the importance of allowing yourself to relish the moments you have with them. Those of us who have grown children, know this is just way too true. So those of you in the thick of the early years… trust us. J
 




For This Child We Prayed…  


Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dust pan, poison the moth
Hang out the washing and butter the bread
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo)
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo)
The shopping is not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo)

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

By Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
 


No comments:

Post a Comment