Thursday, March 14, 2013

Redeeming St. Patrick's Day

 
      I enjoy "Irish-ness", especially the music.   St. Patrick's Day always brings out the festive Irish emphasis everywhere we go, and I kinda enjoy that.  But I also think it is important to offer our kids a look at the history of the day, and point to a different emphasis... Jesus and the spreading of the Gospel.  While I don't know a whole lot about this "missionary", St. Patrick, and don't want to get into a discussion on church history or doctrine, I do appreciate these words below, credited to St. Patrick.  I have also heard my friend (you know who you are), sing this, and it is just so pretty.
     By the way, I learned recently that St. Patrick's Day, March 17, is believed to be the day of his death.  I knew he wasn't Irish, but read that his parents were Roman! (Didn't know that... a little trivia for ya!)  Anyway, enjoy this lovely writing, as we think of Christ on St. Patrick's Day.   

“Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.”
― St. Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment